top of page

Day 2 of Féile 2019

On Saturday morning we played our final group game at home against our guest club, St Ergnats of Moneyglass ,Co Antrim.

Kilmeena made excellent use of the ideal conditions, producing an expansive brand of football which included some fine scores and some diligent defending. We were delighted that all members of the team got minutes on the pitch in this game to showcase their skills. Kilmeena advanced comfortable winners and topped their group with three wins from three. Due to these results Kilmeena advanced to play in the Cup competition, while St Ergnats Moneyglass qualified for the shield competition. Immediately after the game, refreshments were served in the clubhouse, this was a great to opportunity to meet and greet the families from St.Ergnats.

In the afternoon, our lads then departed for Castlebar, for our quarter final against Glenuilin of Co. Derry. This game was played at an intense pace with Kilmeena starting the brightest with an early goal. Kilmeena were then struck a blow when influential midfielder Daniel Kelly had to leave the field of play with an injury. The Ulster then side got a foothold on the game and went into the half-time break with a slender advantage on the scoreboard. Our lads gave it everything in the second half but Glenuilin deservedly emerged victorious on a score line of Kilmeena 3-07 Glenuilin 4-07. There were some unsavory scenes and behavior on the pitch at the end of the game and during the game in the stands, which left a degree of shock and disappointment with the Kilmeena supporters, management and players.

Later that evening the club held our Féile social evening at Gracy's bar, at Westport House. This event gave us a nice opportunity to again mix and chat with our visiting club members.

After witnessing another stressful Mayo victory on the TV screens there, a short presentation ceremony was held.

Mementos of the weekend were exchanged to commemorate a successful weekend both on and off the pitch. Thanks were given all who made this great weekend possible (hopefully nobody left out !).

Both sets of players also received Féile commemorative T-shirts which were generously sponsored by David O'Grady.

On Sunday morning, the Kilmeena Host Families returned the St Engrats players to the parents in Westport, before they headed off to Islandeady to play in their semifinal and later the Final in Westport.

Before they headed back we received the great news that St Ergnats had won the Division 5 Shield final.

Special mention for Ollie for taking the pictures over the weekend !

bottom of page